top of page


SAULT STE. MARIE — At approximately 6:45 p.m. on Jan. 3, a Michigan State Police trooper from the Sault Ste. Marie Post responded to a call on Munuscong Bay in Raber Township of Chippewa County.

A local couple from Chippewa County was ice fishing in two separate ice shanties. When the husband checked on his 54-year-old wife he found her slumped over in her shanty. He began CPR until EMS arrived on scene. She was transported by Pickford EMS to the War Memorial Hospital. Pickford EMS was assisted on scene by Kinross EMS, Raber Township Fire Department, and Pickford Fire Department.

Jenise Lynn Corbiere of Sault Ste. Marie has been identified as the victim. On Jan. 5 she succumbed to her injuries and passed away at the War Memorial Hospital in Sault Ste. Marie. The Chippewa County Medical Examiner’s Office has ruled the cause of death as accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

The public is being reminded to be careful when hunting and fishing in enclosed structures with a heat source and to have proper ventilation with outside air and to use heaters approved for enclosed spaces.

bottom of page